Bolivar Police Issue Safety Tips to Stop Identity Theft
The Bolivar Police Department published a video today on their social media platform and website to remind citizens of simple, common sense tips that they can follow to lower their chances of becoming a victim of identity theft.
The video focuses on ways to keep your personal information safe:
1. Never share your personal banking information, bank cards, or PIN numbers with anyone.
2. Never store debit or credit card PINS with the card. Memorize your PIN!
3. Shred all mail that has your personal information on it, especially credit card offers.
4. Shred all receipts that may contain your banking or bank card information.
5. Check your bank and credit card statements regularly for unauthorized purchases.
6. Do NOT share your personal information (i.e. date of birth, birthplace, etc) on social media forums.
7. Never share online account passwords.
8. Change passwords often and use complex passwords with a mixture of letters, numbers, and symbols.
Most importantly, if you think you may be a victim of identity theft, take these steps immediately:
1. Call the fraud department of the three (3) major credit bureaus.
2. Contact your card issuers.
3. Notify your local police department.
Following these simple tips will help to reduce your chances of becoming a victim.